Whilst there is not generally recognised definition as to what constitutes ‘Fundamental Hardware’, for the purpose of the articles written here we can consider the fundamentals to be any basic component that must exist for the computer to be operable.
Some of the components mentioned in these articles are covered in more detail elsewhere on the site. Wherever possible, articles here will be updated to reflect information that is added later.
- The Basics – What Makes Up A Computer 23/1/2017 - The four main categories of computer hardware and how they link to complete a computer system.
- Computer Cases and Towers 26/1/2017 - A short look at the styles and variations of computer cases and towers.
- The Components of a System Unit 30/1/2017 - The roles of the various components that make up a computer system.
- A Bit About Memory – ROM & RAM 2/2/2017 - The differences between volatile and non-volatile memory.
The Hardware Software
Strictly speaking, the subject of the below article falls into the realms of software rather than being a hardware component.
However, the software discussed has a marked difference from what we would normally expect when we talk of software and it is inextricably linked with the articles above.
- Firmware, BIOS, UEFI & POST 6/2/2017 - Descriptions and roles of firmware, the System BIOS, UEFI and POST